How did I get here?
You know, I'm wondering that too some days! I started @NaturallySu on Instagram originally as a personal Instagram for... (wait for it) my SELFIES! Seriously, it was a running joke to post a selfie every day to see if my face would change if I continued posting a picture of my face daily. In fact, the original handle was @SelfieSu instead of what you see today. Since then, I've been getting a lot of questions from my followers, friends, and colleagues alike on how I got here. I'll list out 'tips' on how to improve your content (but by no means, a guarantee to be an Influencer) and also how much of a time sink this endeavor really is.
How can I be an Influencer?
- Never take IG too seriously. Do NOT get caught up in the IG Game. Because it is just that - a game. People will always unfollow you or you’ll have periods of low engagement. It's really just a game against the algorithm. Get used to it, that’s how IG is!
- Stay loyal to your beliefs, content, and your feed. Your followers follow you for a reason: they like what you represent and what your feed looks like. My feed is currently targeted towards a niche audience for green beauty, clean diet, and healthy living (my lifestyle). If I posted an image of bubble tea (my favorite drink besides green tea), you can bet that I’ll lose a chunk of my audience.
- Keep posting new content - people on IG generally love photos that engage or capture their interests. Use high-quality photos or photos that are edited with accurate light fixes to look high-quality.
- Be honest in your reviews of any product - why do companies seek you out for product reviews? Generally, these may be small businesses without large marketing teams or the funds to market. As such, they love your honesty in reviewing and assisting with viral marketing. Be honest in your assessment and don't lie about a product you don't like. If you don't like something, tell the business owner on what changes you think would benefit their product.
- Have a theme targeted to your niche audience. If you like beauty products then focus on either makeup or skincare or if it's both, then focus on select brands (high-end or other for example). You need to hone in on your targeted audience! I specialize in green beauty or natural beauty products because that's where my belief lies but you need to make sure your content is themed around the type of followers who will share your same interests.
- Don't reach out to businesses, let them contact you instead. So I probably will receive backlash for this "tip" but, I never reach out to companies or businesses. I don't have the time to do so and my goal is not to get a million free products. In fact, I like to live a life of minimalism (Kon-mari Method is my way of life) and it stresses me out when I have too many products. I keep my selection to only the very best so I often reject many brands. There's something that can be said about an Influencer that cannot be bought. However, I'm very selective in working with brands and as of 1/18/18 - I have decided to minimize the brands I'm willing to work for at no cost. I don't like companies who request an insane amount of content on a timetable. I would choose not to work with those because this is not my FT job and I dislike brands who intend to abuse influencers. I create content as an outlet to help businesses that need a marketing boost without the means to do so and for my creativity to produce something since I can no longer paint but not at the cost of many hours spent just for products. I value my time and I'm only willing to review for free if I truly like a brand.
- Take your selfies but take them in natural light and make it look 'professional' - People love seeing the 'person' behind the influencer. Be personable. Go ahead and take that selfie but just make sure it is high-quality and in natural light or good light when possible. Almost all of my IG feed are still seflies to be honest!
I'm sure I can go on forever on tips to be an Influencer but that won't be captured on a blog post here.
Comment any questions you may have below and I'll attempt to answer!