- Recipe Level: Intermediate
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cook time: ~38-45 mins
- Serves: 4-6 (If you have a 6QT IP)
Oxtail soup has always been a childhood favorite of mine. It's not the healthiest but with the addition of tons of veggies, it can be a healthier option! For a vegetarian friendly option, skip the oxtail (and ignore oxtail related steps of this recipe) and go to step 6!
- One whole oxtail (aim to pick a lean cut and ask butcher to slice)
- 6 plum tomatoes on vine
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- Shittake mushrooms (optional)
- Seasoned salt
- Table salt
- Oxtail is extremely fatty so wash thoroughly with water and some table salt. Remove any excess fat as you see fit.
- Toss into instant pot, fill with water and cover. Set to high pressure level and pressure cook mode for ~38 mins
- Natural pressure release AKA NPR (wait 10 mins or so) and then quick press release AKA QPR (switch steam valve to venting). Be careful and don't burn yourself! If too much pressure is still in pot, wait a bit again before trying QP release.
- Skim out the excess scum and oil with a mesh soup ladle
- Optional* - remove oxtail from soup broth and de-bone or leave in for heartier broth.
- Wash and slice tomatoes into quarter wedges and set aside
- Peel & skin off carrots with a potatoes peeler or whatever peeler tool you have. Wash the carrots and cut off top and bottom parts. Chop carrots into 1-2cm thick slices and set aside.
- Wash celery and cut off the top and bottom inedible parts. Cut into 1cm thick slices.
- Order of operations into IP: Celery, Carrot, *Shittake mushrooms, and tomatoes. It's always the firmest vegetables into the pot first, followed by the softer vegetables so the texture is retained and not overcooked.
- If you chose to add Shittake mushrooms to this recipe, wash thoroughly and remove stems. Slice them dependent on how much chew you like in your mushrooms. Remember, mushrooms always shrink when you cook them.
- If you decided to keep the oxtail in your pot, please remember that it displaces water so adding you veggies might exceed your max instant pot level. Be sure to add just enough water to not exceed the max level.
- All your vegetables should be in by now! Set pot to pressure mode at low level for 10 mins. Cover pot and be sure to set your pressure call e back to steam.
- After the 10 mins are up, use the NPR method. If you feel like a pro or impatient to eat, you can try quick spurts of the QPR method (as I did haha...) Be warned - QPR may spray steam all the way to your ceiling so do try to wait at least 8-10 mins before attempting!
Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!
I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment or questions below!